What Is Metatarsalgia?
- Metatarsalgia can be caused when feet are not able to work normally due to abnormal bone movement and incorrect alignment. This can be due to inherited problems, ageing (45+), weight increase, new or increased activity or weakness due to illness.
- Metatarsal bones are the long ones in our mid-foot which connect onto the toe bones.
- The main symptom of Metatarsalgia is usually a pain in the area behind your toes.
- The sensations can be soreness, tenderness, swelling, tingling/numbness in toes or over the whole mid-foot, between bones, under the ‘ball of the foot’ and sometimes even on top of the ‘ball of the foot’ area.
- On occasion it can feel as if a stone is caught in your shoe.
What is Mortons Neuroma?
- This is the next stage of Metatarsalgia.
- The abnormal bone movement has caused nerves and their sheaths to become trapped resulting in inflammation, numbness, heat, swelling.
- On occasion whole toes can be affected.
- The most effective treatment is to have the feet supported with Custom-made insoles/Orthotics.
- The Footbalance System is designed to create custom made insoles to aid alignment and a 30 minute appointment can leave you walking in greater comfort. Click here for more information on Footbalance.
- Other treatments include joint immobilisation, massage and acupuncture. These are offered by our colleagues at The Wyndham Centre.
- Surgery is a last resort.
How We Can Help
- The most effective treatment is to be thoroughly and professionally diagnosed by a FeetcarePlus Professional using the Footbalance System.
- At FeetcarePlus we have successfully improved the comfort of many people suffering from Mortons Neuroma by creating custom made insoles to correctly re-align the foot structure.
- Footbalance can be used before or after surgery.
- We give advice and suggestions to ensure your feet are comfortable for the longest possible time.
- Call 01462 790065 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for a consultation.